CarVal Investors is a leading global alternative investment fund manager focused on distressed and credit-intensive assets and market inefficiencies. Since 1987, our experienced team has navigated through ever-changing credit market cycles, opportunistically investing $97 billion in 5,300 transactions across 76 countries. Today, CarVal Investors has approximately $10 billion in assets under management in both credit and real estate strategies
CarVal Investors is dedicated to attracting and retaining the industry’s best people across asset classes and geographies. CarVal is committed to diversity and inclusion, valuing the full range of life experiences, skills and qualities of our employees. We believe peak effectiveness comes from an engaged, talented, and diverse workforce.
As an Accountant in our Management Company Accounting team, the person in this role will have a unique opportunity to gain exposure in a growing, diverse and dynamic investment business. This person will be a valuable member of the finance operations function in the processing, reporting and accounting of expense allocations.
The position will require a candidate that is able to utilize their experience to solve problems and make decisions independently while communicating actively with peers and management. Responsibilities must be performed in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
General Expense Allocation – 65%
- Identify owners of bills and route for approval and coding guidance for CarVal Investors, LLC (Management Company and related Funds)
- Review coding for accuracy and appropriate support
- Work with individuals throughout the organization to make sure expense allocation on bills are recorded accurately and timely
- Research correct coding using various sources of information and systems
- Prepare and process monthly recharges to Funds, includes booking to multiple systems.
- Provide guidance on proper accounting treatment of bills in line with Expense Allocation policy.
- Actively liaise with 3rd party Accounts Payable processor
- Identify opportunities for efficiencies
- Develop internal & external relationships
- Potential to be involved in an expense allocation system implementation
Travel Expense Allocation – 10%
- Prepare and process monthly travel recharge to fund, includes booking to multiple systems.
- Actively liaise with Compliance to prepare reports for review and assist with reclasses as needed.
Pending Deal Allocations – 10%
- Identify pending deal expenses and book to receivable
- Maintain accurate tracking file for outstanding expenses
- Actively liaise with Operations for update on status of pending deals
- Recharge to Fund or Management Company as deemed applicable, includes booking to multiple systems.
General Accounting – 10%
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliation
- Prepare monthly cash reconciliations
- Vendor management oversight
Ad Hoc – 5%
- Answer ad hoc questions, provide support and assist with projects as needed.
- 4-year Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills including familiarity with Pivot tables and the following formulas: VLookup, HLookup, and If/Then
- Demonstrated expertise with a system outside of Microsoft Office Suite products
- 2+ years of Accounting experience
- Strong research and problem solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong technical accounting skills
- Highly motivated and self-directed
- Ability to identify and communicate potential issues
- Flexible, works well under pressure
- Ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work extra hours as needed
- System familiarity: NetSuite, Northern Trust, eFront, Concur